Sat, Jun 03|
Workshop 1: Wrapping our hearts and minds around gender
When you hear the words “transgender kids,” what comes to mind for you - what images, feelings, stories? What people? Take a moment to notice.
Time & Location
Jun 03, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Flagstaff, Flagstaff, AZ, USA
About the event
Trans and nonbinary people’s rights and lives have been more visible this year in legislation in more heightened ways than ever before. Most days we scroll through the top headlines in the news, trans people’s rights are being questioned. How are we in Flagstaff and Northern Arizona countering that narrative? How can we better uplift trans people and advocate for their rights here locally?
In this workshop we will:
- Share ideas on how to shift our schools, families, and communities to better support trans youth
- Explore the importance of visibilizing gender diverse people to signal safety and openness
- Notice gendered language and how much it is embedded into our different cultures
- Learn some intro terminology, recognizing language as a bridge to safety, not just “getting it right”
- Practice using pronouns that are newer to us, correcting ourselves and others when we make a mistake, and practice really seeing people’s gender
- Engage in scenarios where trans people have been hurt in the past, and practice what we could do and say differently
Trans and gender expansive people are free to attend at no charge, with the knowledge that people are invited to ask uncomfortable questions and bring in instances where they have hurt trans people in the past, which may be painful to witness. Please reach out if you have any questions.
RSVP for Location: Location will be sent out a couple of days before the event for the safety for all attendees and facilitators. Location is in downtown Flagstaff for your own planning.
COST: Sliding Scale $35-$100/workshop
Payment Plans Welcome (email us email@example.com to share your payment plan needs)
No One Turned Away for Lack of Funds
Sliding Scale $35-$100/workshop: thank you for supporting our work! Payment Plans Welcome: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your payment plan needs No One Turned Away for Lack of FundsPay what you want+Service fee